Venice Dear Veranico Franco This Essay
Excerpt from Essay :
The Carnevale and Sensa festivals were outlawed and the Book of Gold, which had recorded the names of patrician families of Venice for more than four centuries, was burned.
Before leaving Venice Napoleon instructed his men to take twenty paintings along with five hundred manuscripts of rarity including the 'Wedding Feast at Cana' by Veronese. Napoleon additionally took the four bronze horses of San Marco to be taken from the facade of the building. As well, the ancient winged lion that was atop the column in the Piazetta was removed. The Aresenale is reported to have been "systematically stripped down to the bare walls. A regiment of French soldiers took axes to the lavish busintoro…" (Madden, 2012, p.449) in addition, "dozens of priceless works of medieval art, including Golden Roses bestowed o Venice for centuries of faithful service to popes were broken apart for their diamonds, pearls, and precious metals." (Madden, 2012, p.449)
The French are reported to have spared "the nine-hundred year old Pala d'Oro" because they did not realize its value. (Madden, 2012, p.449) When the city entered into the possession of Napoleon's nephew nearly sixty monasteries and parishes were "shuttered, demolished, or converted to other purposes. The monastery of Santa Maria delle Vergini became a military prison. Every year more churches were closed and the artwork warehoused or sent elsewhere -- much of it to Paris or Milan. Hundreds of scuole were abolished their buildings confiscated or destroyed and their artistic treasures looted." (Madden, 2012, p.451)
The cathedral of Venice was moved from San Pietro di Castello to the church of San Marco." (Madden, 2012, p.451) During this time it is reported by Madden that seen nearly everywhere were "priests in cassocks, Dominicans and Franciscans in their distinctive robes…" (2012, p.451) Following Napoleon's visit in 1807,...
...(Madden, 2012, p.453)
A new gate was placed in the Arsenal on the north side of Venice at Napoleons instructions, which gave it "direct access to the lagoon." (Madden, 2012, p.453) the island of San Cristoforo was cleared to make way for a cemetery. The church of San Geminiano was Sansovino designed in 15556 was demolished and on the west side of the Piazza, the Napoleonic wing was constructed. Napoleon had the fish markets cleared as well as the gain warehouse. The Royal Gardens were placed there.
As Venice changed hands once again, the horses of San Marco were returned to Venice in 1815 and placed by on the porch of San Marco. The bronze winged lion was returned by the Austrians for the column on the Molo in 1814 as well. However, Venice moved along its economic decline with many of the old patrician families leaving Venice.
Venice has changed dramatically over the centuries rising and swelling with new creations that replaced some of the old with representations of the historic grandeur remaining to reflect a time when Venice was the center of the Western commercial and artistic world. In July 1902, "a crack rang out across the Piazzo San Marco and in a moment the Campanile had collapsed on itself, sending up a great cloud of dust and smoke. The Logestta…was completely crushed." (Madden, 2012, p.476) Fortunately, the church of San Marco and the Ducal Palace were not harmed. World War I broke out in 1914, and this time the Venetians hid much of their art treasures. Industrialization began in Venice. Madden reports that present…
Sources Used in Documents:
Madden, Thomas (2012) Venice: A New History. Penguin Group, U.S.. Oct. 2012.
Cite This Essay: