Trace the Development of Law Essay
- Length: 5 pages
- Sources: 3
- Subject: Business - Law
- Type: Essay
- Paper: #58375618
Excerpt from Essay :
Royal Magistrate courts were installed because of Henry II, making it easier for justice to be done, as local disputes no longer had to be arbitrated by the Crown. The English law system was antiquated during Henry's reign, given that people settled their disputes through trial by ordeal or through trial by combat. The King was supportive toward a system that would employ several individuals forming a jury meant to decide whether a particular individual was guilty or not.
Members of the church were advantaged during the early years of Henry II's reign, since they did not have to subject to the same laws applied to normal individuals. Being aware of this injustice, Henry set out several laws which were meant to limit the church's influence and to make the law equally applicable for everyone (Sherman & Salisbury, 258). In spite of his strength of mind, he experienced little success in fighting against the illegalities committed by the church. Even with that, he paved the road to the English Reformation.
1. Dewes Winspear, Alban and Kramp Geweke, Lenore Augustus and the Reconstruction of Roman Government and Society (Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1935).
2. Easton, Stewart C. And Wieruszowski, Helene The Era of Charlemagne: Frankish State and Society (Huntington, NY: Robert E. Krieger Publishing, 1961).
3. Firth, J.B. "Preface," The Reorganisation of the Empire and the Triumph of the Church (New York G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1905).
4. Hecht, N.S. Jackson, B.S. Passamaneck, S.M. Piattelli, D. And Rabello, A.M. eds., An Introduction to the History and Sources of Jewish Law (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996).
5. Kevelson, Roberta "Comparative Legal Cultures and Semiotics: an Introduction," The American Journal of Semiotics 1.4 (1982).
6. Milnor, Kristina Gender, Domesticity, and the Age of Augustus: Inventing Private Life (Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2005).
7. Sherman, Dennis & Salisbury, Joyce. "The West in the…