Water Supply: There Are Two Essay

Related Topics:

The advantages of using the city water system is that these systems can serve an entire community more efficiently and their ability to produce water of premium quality. However, the city water systems have several disadvantages such as the possibility of the additives used to affect the taste of the water and inability of individuals to manage the water supply or source. On the contrary, water well has the advantage of enabling community members to manage the water themselves. Nonetheless, the disadvantage of these water systems is that it time consuming and energy consuming to treat the water.


There are some necessary calculations or water supply information that are important to firefighters in the community including the maximum daily consumption, the required gpm flow, and the minimum amount of water storage. For this community, the maximum daily consumption is determined by calculating the average community daily water demand which is determined by the average daily water demand multiplied by the number of people ("Water Demand," n.d.). Since the average daily water demand is 100 gallons per person per day, the Average Community Daily Water Demand = Average daily water demand * Number of People

= 100*25,000

= 2,500,000 gallons/day.

To determine the gpm flow that the water system must be able to supply for community, it's important to determine the maximum hourly water demand and divide it...


In addition, the most appropriate water system that would be adequate and reliable for this community is the city water system because of the population's size and the challenges in using the water well system for such a community.

Sources Used in Documents:


"Water Demand." (n.d.). Lesson 3 -- Introduction to Water Treatment Math. Retrieved from Mountain Empire Community College website: http://water.me.vccs.edu/courses/ENV115/lesson3_2.htm

"What Are the Different Types of Water Systems?" (n.d.). Wise Geek -- Clear Answers to Common Questions. Retrieved July 16, 2012, from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-water-systems.htm

Cite this Document:

"Water Supply There Are Two" (2012, July 16) Retrieved June 14, 2024, from

"Water Supply There Are Two" 16 July 2012. Web.14 June. 2024. <

"Water Supply There Are Two", 16 July 2012, Accessed.14 June. 2024,

Related Documents

Water infrastructure and safety issues are far more pressing in the developing world, and large numbers of research teams and laboratories are engaged in developing better and safer water system in Africa and much of Latin America (Helmholz 2009). A lack of clean drinking water and reliable systems is a growing problem in much of the world, and so attention is shifted away from infrastructure issues in the developed

Water Supply and Demand in 2075 Global Resource Proposal Difference in Water Demand and Supply in 2075 The World Health Organization has quantified the amount of water needed to sustain human life (Howard and Bartram, 2003), although the organization's primary concern is water quality (WHO/UNICEF, 2013). Given the projected growth rates in population and its expected peak around 2075 (U.N., 2004), there is a need to better understand whether the world's water

Food and Water Supply

Food and Water Supply: Rwanda Identifying Methods to Improve the Food and Water Supply in Rwanda The recent events following Hurricane Katrina served to emphasize just how important clean food and water are to the American public; fortunately, though, the profound deprivations in New Orleans were short-lived, but the same plight is faced on a daily basis by the peoples of many developed countries of the world. Tens of millions of people

Water Pollution Water is an important natural resource upon which all the living beings rely for their existence and growth. Nature has blessed the earth with uncountable water resources but usable quantity is limited. Hence, it is important to use water sparingly. The irony is, human activities result is high water pollution which further shortens the water supply for use. "In an age when man has forgotten his origins and is blind

Water Global Human Needs System Thinking and Transformative Social Systems in Sustainability It is a fact that above 70% of the surface of the Earth is water. However, the real issue despite the abundance of water is the availability of fresh water (Amanda, 2013). Of the total waters on Earth, 97.5% of this is salty water; this leaves only a 2.5% as fresh water. To add on this deafening fact, of all

Water Pollution

Water Pollution The vast majority -- over 70% -- of our earth is covered by water. Unfortunately for our thirst, 97.5% of all the water on the planet is salt water. Only 2.5% of the water on planet earth is fresh drinking water. Given that there is such a small percentage of drinkable water on the planet, the resource has become a scarce commodity. Making matters worse is the fact that