Medication Communication Cliff Barbara 2012 Excellence in Essay
- Length: 6 pages
- Sources: 15
- Subject: Healthcare
- Type: Essay
- Paper: #42824742
Excerpt from Essay :
Cliff, Barbara (2012). "Excellence in Patient Satisfaction within a Patient-Centered Culture." Academic journal article from Journal of Healthcare Management, Vol. 57, No. 3.
This article can be used to explain how the scores of HCAHPS has become an important consideration among the healthcare leaders. Furthermore, this resource is also important because it explains the Value-Based Purchasing program that would be implemented nationwide in the fiscal year 2013 for better reimbursement. This article also explains the breakdown of the payment in this particular system; 70% would be the cost of the clinical care and medication of the patient, meanwhile 30% would be based on patient's satisfaction. In this paper, it has also been explained how HCAHPS surveys forms the basis for the patient's domain.
Bernhofer, E., (October 25, 2011) "Ethics and Pain Management in Hospitalized Patients" OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Vol. 17 No. 1.
This particular resource is important as it gives the statistics and results of some of the HCAHPS surveys that were done in the year 2011 pertaining to the satisfaction of the patients regarding their pain management while they were admitted in the hospital. According to the results of HCAHPS surveys that have been mentioned in this article, we find out that 63-74% of the patients who were hospitalized (nationwide) reported that they received proper pain management services. This article therefore, emphasizes on the importance of such surveys for the better treatment of the hospitalized patients. Moreover, this column also sheds light on the ethical side of HCAHPS surveys.
3. Taylor, Jane and Rutherford, Patricia (2010). "The Pursuit of Genuine Partnerships with Patients and Family Members: The Challenge and Opportunity for Executive Leaders." Academic journal article from Frontiers of Health Services Management, Vol. 26, No. 4
The main theme of this article is the analysis of how the introduction of HCAHPS surveys and considering patients as consumers have made things better for the patients and their families. It has been explained in this paper how the survey works and how the patients can get access to this information, and so can their families. The fact that this information is, and has to be, kept transparent by the healthcare leaders has also been emphasized. By using this resource, one can explain that through the results of the HCAHPS surveys and other information that is available at this portal, patients can chose what hospital they should go to for their treatment.
4. Zamora, Debra (2012). "Using Patient Satisfaction as a Basis for Reimbursement: Political, Financial, and Philosophical Implications." Academic journal article from Creative Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3
This article yet again provides us with statistics pertaining to the number of state hospitals that have started or are planning to start the implementation of the Value-Based Purchasing programs. In this particular article, some 3500 hospitals have been considered for research. Moreover, this article also explains how HCAHPS will help hospitals improve their quality of healthcare services that are being provided to the patients and therefore avoid the cuts in the revenue. Another interesting point that has been raised in this article is the debate that has been taking place among many hospital administrators regarding the placement of monetary value on the satisfaction of the patient.
5. Felt-Lisk, Suzanne; Barrett, Allison; Nyman, Rebecca (2007). Public Reporting of Quality Information on Medicaid Health Plans." Academic journal article from Health Care Financing Review, Vol. 28, No. 3.
The main theme of this article is the identification of the extent to which the Medicaid health plan quality check data is available for the people to access online. Some statistics are also available in this article regarding the researches that were carried out prior to the publishing of this article. The patterns and information was reviewed in many categories regarding the health plans. Among these categories were included the non-profit vs. for-profit plans, smaller vs. larger plans, Medicaid-serving vs. Medicaid dominated plans and within the category of Medicaid dominated plans category were the types known as the other ownership vs. provider-owned plans.
6. Brown, Gordon D (1997). "Consumer-Oriented Managed Care: Oxymoron or New Direction?" Frontiers of Health Services Management.
In this particular article, different literature has been reviewed that is relevant to this topic. It has been discussed how the provision of healthcare pertaining to the satisfaction of the patients and the catering of their needs while they are hospitalized has now become a full-fledged industry. Reference to the decrees of the President has also been made in the article to lay emphasis on the fact that it has now become mandatory to make sure that every patient who leaves the hospital is satisfied with the kind of services that he was provided with at any particular hospital or healthcare centre. This article also explains that the criteria for the selection of a healthcare centre by the patients would definitely change with the provision of the information that is obtained through the HCAHPS surveys.
7. By Rohrer, James E.; Dominguez, Daniel G. (1998) "Determinants of Successful Community Health System Planning" Academic journal article from Journal of Healthcare Management, Vol. 43, No. 2
Although this article does not specifically mentions how HCAHPS is developing and implementing throughout the country, this is relevant because it states how the trends in the healthcare industry are in transition. This article gives reference to the hospitals of Iowa, where the provision of healthcare services is being reviewed and analyzed. Moreover, in this article suggestions have been made as to how the healthcare system in the country can be improved. It has also been explained in this article that is important for the healthcare managers and leaders to take interest in the satisfaction of the patients when they come to the hospitals or when they are hospitalized.
8. Powers, Thomas L.; Bendall-Lyon, Dawn (2002). "Using Complaint Behavior to Improve Quality through the Structure and Process of Service Delivery." Academic journal article from Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, Vol. 15.
This source does not directly mentions the survey system of HCAHPS, but this explains how the number of complaints increased when a portal was opened for the registration of complaints against the service delivery in healthcare units. Two kinds of complaints that were made by the patients have been explained in this article. First, the complaints that the patients lodged against the service personnel and second the complaints that patient had against the service structure of the healthcare centers. This article is important because it gives us the idea that what formed the basis of the system of HCAHPS that is being introduced and implemented nationwide.
9. Wessel, Susan (2012). "Impact of Unit Practice Councils on Culture and Outcomes" Academic journal article from Creative Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 4.
This article explains the positive aspects of HCAHPS. This explains how this system will improve employee engagement and clinical quality of healthcare services. This also explains its benefits on the governance of the hospitals and other healthcare centers. Lastly, it also explains the benefits of the Value-Based Purchasing programs.
10. Frampton, Susan B. (2012) "Healthcare and the Patient Experience: Harmonizing Care and Environment." Academic journal article from HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal, Vol. 5, No. 2.
This article explains the transformation of patient care as a disruptive topic to an industry that has become an important one. Yet again this article explains what benefits the introduction of HCAHPS survey program would do to this industry. The benefits can be explained using the articles in terms of both monetary value and satisfaction of the patients. This article also lays emphasis and suggests ways in which the healthcare system can become more organized, HCAHPS being one of the ways.
11. O' Connor, Stephen J. (2012). "Editorial" Academic journal article from Journal of Healthcare Management, Vol. 57, No. 3.
This article explains some terms used in the healthcare system including healthcare quality and cost-effectiveness. The link between these two terms has also been explained in this article. This article can be used to explain how enhanced healthcare quality and satisfaction of the patients can cause enhanced cost-effectiveness. Both these aspects have explained in detail with their relevance to the high-value healthcare system.
12. Giordano, Laura A.; Elliott, Marc N.; Goldstein, Elizabeth; Lehrman, William G. And Spencer, Patrice A. (2009). "Development, Implementation, and Public Reporting of the HCAHPS Survey." Sage Journals.
In this article, 3900 hospitals in America that makes about 90% of the total were reviewed regarding the implementation of HCAHPS system. The data collected suggests that patient selection of the hospital was facilitated through this system. Linkage between payments and this system has also been explained in this article. Moreover, the potential benefits of this system have also been explained.
13. Petrullo, Kristin A.; Lamar, Stacey; Nwankwo-Otti, Oby; Alexander-Mills, Kinta and Viola, Deborah (2013). "The Patient Satisfaction Survey: What does it mean to your bottom line"? Journal of Hospital Administration, Vol. 2 No. 2.
This article explains the potential provisions of the…